Involving pupils and adding interest
A school council working group investigated how pupils wanted their school meals to change and found that a modern more appropriate form of dining was needed.
Students were surveyed about what foods they wanted. PSHE and citizenship lessons were used to get across the importance of a balanced diet. A stay-on-site policy for younger years was introduced. A modest investment from the school resulted in a dining hall re-design.
The result following CaterMap’s involvement:
- School meal revenues have increased by more than 40%.
- An extra 250 students now eat school meals.
- Student behaviour has improved – especially during the afternoon.
- Quantities of litter have been reduced.
- Queuing is almost non-existent.
- The food and restaurant facilities were voted one of the top three things students like about the school.